Monday, April 21, 2008

The Inaugural Post

Good evening. Welcome to Several Minutes Off Your Life, the latest bit of self-indulgence to pock the surface of the Internet. Yes, I have decided to start a blog. Why is this commonplace gesture "self-indulgent", might you ask? First, there is the usual vanity that precipitates the starting up of a blog of almost any kind, regardless of how high or low the blogger is on the cultural totem pole, or how high-minded the blog's explicit purpose is. Second, and despite my knowing better, I harbor the illusion that this activity might somehow enhance my (virtual) social life. Well-read strangers will hold me in esteem, granting me more than my share of cachet for being the penetrating witticist that I am. Right.

Finally, the content of this blog is diffused across a dry lake bed of non-specific miscellany. I believe I am qualified to comment on anything I please, like some Renaissance man of the postmodern era. Lazy as I am, citations and qualifications will be kept at a minimum, so I don't want to hear any carping about that. Now, I do not focus specifically on politics, music, religious affairs, sexuality, pop culture, or any other particular area of late modern life. Nor am I limited to musing reflexively on the day-to-day urban mundane, or the 'oversharing' of my personal melodramas as I approach the age of thirty. Rather, I will write about whatever my goddamn mood pushes me to write about, motherfuckers.

This is a sounding board for me, that I may indulge in the belief that my own thoughts about things are at least of some special import. I honestly believe that it is better for my thoughts - my thoughts - to leave some lasting mark of pollution on the greatest medium of the early 21st century, rather than for them to just rattle around in my brain before fading out. Yes, I believe that my "voice" matters. God, I hate that word. It's so self-serious in that Berkeley way, bordering on treacly, just like the words "the [fill in blank] community", or "solidarity." Fuck you.

I may choose to write about something tomorrow.


No comments: